Friday, February 7, 2020

The Resin Brotherhood

I've been a collector of Asian Ball jointed dolls since somewhere around 2005, and a fan of JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood books for almost that long as well. I can't remember when I first picked up Dark Lover looking for a new paranormal romance to read, but I think it was somewhere around 2008.  It wasn't until 2010 that I got the idea, with the introduction of Iplehouse's EID, line to shell some of my favorite characters in the Brotherhood world in resin form. Prior to 2010, there really weren't any dolls on the market that could come anywhere near to representing the "stature" of the Brothers. My wheels started turning and I sent one of the paperback books to my friend Lyn Raftis, who is an awesome face up artist. I asked her if she would be interested in painting some of the dolls to represent the characters in the Brotherhood world. She became hooked on the books as well, and we embarked on what has been a really fun project over the years.  Through the years we have created many of the character in the Brotherhood world in resin form. I have a Flickr album dedicated to pictures of them (My Flickr albums are linked in the sidebar is you are interested in taking a peek). I have gotten away from taking pictures of them the past few years, so since I started several blogs last year representing different areas of my doll collecting, I thought it only appropriate to finally start one for the one of the doll groups that have given me so many hours of enjoyment over the years. I'm hoping by giving them their own blog to reignite my fire for them and encourage myself to photograph them more. I'll start out by sharing my original "Qhuinn"...…..the first Lyn painted for me in the series. I've had a soft spot for Qhuinn since his introduction in the books. He arrived home in resin form in August of 2010 as he appears below.
Lyn was able to incorporate all of his piercings in his ears as well as the piercings in his lip and eyebrow. He even has nipple piercings (which you can't see here). At the time Qhuinn was shelled there weren't a lot of Iplehouse sculpts to choose from, and the Chase sculpt here was the one we felt best portrayed the character. Below you can see his teardrop tattoo close up, in red, outlined in black as described in the books, signifying his status as ahstrux nohstrum.
By 2015 Iplehouse had introduced quite a few new sculpts and one of them, Lawrence, I felt would be a better representation of how I actually saw Qhuinn in my head when I read the books. I decided to reshell him in an older, slightly different version, wih his ahstrux nohstrum tattoo colored in black, as it was later in the story. Below is the updated version. I'm going to try and highlight each of the characters over the next few weeks, and put up character profiles in the side bars.
Besides having his ahstrux nohstrum tattoo colored in, we did a bar piercing under his lip instead of the piercing through his lip that original Qhuinn has. I like his older, slightly more mature look. He also looks better with Blay (but I'll highlight both of them together in another post).
We also gave Qhuinn his "Brotherhood" tattoo on his chest, as old Qhuinn had not been inducted yet when we shelled him. You can see his nipple piercing here as well.








No comments:

Post a Comment